Thanksgiving is a beautiful holiday allowing you time to spend with family, friends and loved ones. It’s so much fun to relax and dine around great food, sharing recipes and making plans for upcoming events. For many of us managing our weight, we allow ourself to indulge, at least a little, because we know that some of the dishes are hard to refuse.
Now it’s time to get back on track. That can be a challenge, especially if there are leftovers still lingering days after. Here are some suggestions that have worked for me that I’d like to share with you.
- Start tomorrow with a NO LEFTOVERS PLAN. The longer you eat these delicious dishes the harder it will be to get back into your weight management routine. Pre-plan your breakfast, lunch and dinner for tomorrow so you know exactly what your meals will be. This technique helps you to make a commitment to yourself.
- If you still have a lot of turkey or leftovers in the fridge, make a few sandwiches or brown bag lunch and feed some people who are less fortunate. Sad but true, there are many in this world who unfortunately don’t have much to eat. Here in the city, I see them everywhere I go. Treat them with a great meal or two. You’ll put a smile on their face, food in their belly and you will both be happy and grateful.
- Add “Go to the gym” on your calendar. Don’t just write the words, schedule a day and time. Pull out your favorite workout outfit and pack your gym bag ahead of time so you have no excuse.
- Set new fitness goals. Evaluate your old plan and start a new one. Somehow when we’re working on something new, it’s more exciting.
- Use and app like
- MyFitnessPal -This mobile app and website that gives you a wealth of tools for tracking what and how much you eat, and calories you burn.
- Charity Miles -Help earn money for charities every time you run, walk, or bicycle by using the free Charity Miles app.
- Fitstar – You’ll love the ability to create custom workouts for you based on your fitness level.
- Lose It! -The app designed for counting calories and tracking your exercise.
- Map My Fitness – Uses GPS to track the routes you travel, and shows you a map of the area you covered when you’re done.
Ready to get back on track? Share your results in the comments below.